The day after the shoot I finished a rough edit in a couple of hours. It was quite an easy edit as I managed to keep my rushes down to just over an hour with multiple takes of the same shot due to efficient story boarding and planning. This has taught me to plan ahead because it makes post-production so much easier!
For the first time I tried out colour grading to give the film a more 'film-like' appearance and keep it looking cohesive and vibrant. I am not very skilled technically with editing however Sony Vegas has different types of colour grading effects - some easier to use than others and I just adjusted the dials until I was satisfied. I now just have to work with my Dad to create a song/instrumental piece to fit the style of my edit.
Here are some stills from the film with my beautiful model and best friend Ami.
I was in charge of the whole shoot day which was stressful at times but thankfully I had a clear idea of what I wanted for most of the film. The recce helped me storyboard and plan so when we got there I knew the locations for each outfit - (Pink = field -> wood cove, Purple = wood cove, White = stream -> running up behind the trees)
I wanted to create a filmic look which is more blurred and different colours to a television/documentary style that I am used to filming in. To create this look I knew that I could colour grade in post-production but to create a more blurred look I shot in 24 fps (excluding shots I wanted to slow down which I shot in 50 fps to achieve a higher quality).
With my budget from Grow Wild, I bought a dolly which allows you to take sliding/ tracking shots. It was difficult to use at first because it is quite unsteady on one tripod - if you do use one i would recommend using two tripods to keep it balanced and/or have a person with you to steady the shot. I loved the effect this equipment creates and I would definitely recommend buying one if you want to get your films looking more professional and add to the variety of shots you can achieve.
I have learned a lot from my mistakes on this shoot day and previously so here are a few things I have learnt gives a better film and eases editing -
1 - Lotus Shoes from Charity shop before up-cycling
2 - Cutting the bows off
3 - Dying shoes purple
4 - Added flower embellishments - finished shoes in fashion film
5 - Tying first knot of embroidery thread onto bangle
6 - First round of thread glued on
7 - Purple thread in stripes - finished bangle in film
8 - Painting black circles onto old white sunglasses in acrylic
9 - Added purple acrylic to finish - up-cycled sunglasses in film
10 - Cutting and painting flowers for shoe embellishments and earrings
11 - Flowers glued onto white plimsolls
12 - Finished studs in fashion film
1 - Bottom of old wedding dress cut and tacked to models measurements. Tulle cut and shaped into top of dress to mimic petals and texture of seed head of Mountain Avens
2 - Trying on newly sewn together dress to check fit
3 - Hand sewn on red ribbon to represent red stem of Mountain Avens
4 - Cutting out Material to make petals and leaves in shape of Mountain Avens flowers
5 - Sewing beads into middle to represent yellow center of flower
6 - Hand sewing flower onto top of dress
7 - Flower and Leaves on tulle
8 - Trying on the finished gown
1 - Curtains from the charity shop - lovely Campion pink colour
2 - Cutting into a strip for the skirt
3 - Pinning the skirt into box pleats on manikin (lining underneath)
4 - Sewing the skirt on the machine
5 - Sewn skirt, hemmed at bottom
6 - Sewn top sewn onto skirt to make dress
7, 8 - Trying on the dress with shoes and jacket
1 - Plain old jacket
2 - Seeing what Red Campions look like on the back
3 - Took a photo of Campions from garden, edited out backround
4 - Ironing on design (printed onto transfer paper)
5 - Peeling it off...
6 - Result of transfer
7 - Starting to hand embroider according to colours and shapes in transfer pictures
8 - Finished back
9 - Finished sleeve 1
10 - Finished sleeve 2
1 - Picture of Military Orchid - I thought this looked like a man wearing a jumpsuit!
2 - Old prom dress from charity shop
3 - Cutting the dress
4 - ... into a bodice
5 - Joining the zip together
6 - Seeing what it looks like with jumble sale trousers
7 - Embroidering pattern onto tulle
8 - Sewn onto bodice top
9 - Dip dying the trousers
10 - Embroidering (military inspired!) pattern onto top of trousers with same thread
11 - Final piece
I am 18 and doing my Gold Arts Award. This blog is about the process of completing the award which includes film making and fashion.